Cancer Council is internationally renowned for innovative work in cancer research, prevention and support.
Every day, we work to prevent cancer, empower patients through providing information and support, and save lives
Cancer Council NSW is an independent, 94% community funded charity. Our unique combination of local program delivery, community engagement and state-wide influence enables everyone who cares about cancer to make the biggest possible difference.
1 in 2 Australians will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime and the impact on families, carers and communities is significant.
Cancer Council NSW is the only organisation that works across every area of every cancer by:
- Conducting and funding world-class research that underpins our work in preventing cancer
- Supporting people as they navigate the cancer journey
- Advocating to ensure that governments take action on cancer
In addition to our research, advocacy, support and prevention state-wide, we aim to remain connected with our local community depending on their needs.
Funds raised stay local, allowing Cancer Council NSW to continue to provide access to support services to the Northern Suburbs.
A Cancer Council Information Serivce is provided within treatment centres across NSW. You can talk to a trained Cancer Council volunteer who can help you find the resources or services you need. This includes:
- access to evidence-based information for anyone affected by cancer.
- over 60 free Cancer Council NSW publications about cancer, treatment and side effects available in print and online.
- information about cancer support services in NSW.
- access to Cancer Council NSW cancer support services.
- social support.
While they don’t provide counselling or medical advice, our volunteers are happy to discuss your situation and guide you to the relevant information and service.
Cancer Council Information Services specific to the Nothern area are available at the following treatment centres:
- Frenchs Forest – GenesisCare Frenchs Forest
- Frenchs Forest – Northern Beaches Hospital
- St Leonards – GenesisCare St Leonards
We contributed $19 million to conduct and fund world-class research across all stages of the cancer journey.
61,000 Australian lives have been saved by improvements in cancer prevention, screening and treatment over the past 20 years.
65,363 people visited the Healthy Lunch Box website, viewing 519,473 pages to find nutritious recipe ideas for kids.
80% of NSW primary school children were protected from the harmful effects of the sun through SunSmart program.
1.9 million Australian lives will be saved through reduced lung cancer burden up to the year 2100, thanks to anti-smoking reforms driven by Cancer Council and allies.
Providing information & support
More than 530,000 people affected by cancer relied on us for information and support.
2,677 people were helped through a time of financial stress thanks to our Financial Assistance Program.
We helped 2,660 cancer patients and carers get to treatment centres and hospitals through our Transport to Treatment service, driving more than 1.1 million km across NSW.
Advocating on cancer issues
40,000 CanAct Community members influence what politicians do about cancer
Thanks to our advocacy work, we’ve achieved the following:
- Chemotherapy co-payments have been abolished
- A ban on commercial solariums is now in effect
- A smoking ban in all outdoor dining areas is now in place
Click here to find out more about the impact we're making across NSW.